Kyle Nosal Photography

This is my first blog. I just moved to Enid, Oklahoma and have started working for the Enid News & Eagle as a photographer. Here I will share the adventures from the farm land.

Name:
Location: Westminster, Maryland, United States

I recently graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a Bachelor of Fine Arts-Photography. I am currently working for the Carroll County Times in Westminster, MD as a staff photographer.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Past vs Present

I am still trying to get the hang of this blog thing. I thought once I set it up, it would be easy to update it every day or so. Well, my last post was over a week ago. I am half way through my 3rd week here in Enid, and things are beginning to fall into a groove.
I have unpacked as much of my apartment as I can with the furniture I have. I have a bigger apartment and I've run out of places to put stuff. It's amazing how many things one person can accumulate over time. I still have random things in a couple of boxes, but I kinda don't want to unpack them, at least not right now.
Being in Enid these past 3 weeks has been a little bit of a culture shock for me. I didn't think I would have much trouble going from Norman to Enid, but even though I constantly thought there wasn't much to do around Norman, there is way more than here. I guess this post will be a list of the things I took for granted while I had and now I miss(in no particular order):

-The Daily Grind: while one of the things I love about working at a newspaper is that I never know what assignment i'm going to be sent to that day, it was the predictability of knowing what classes I had each day, who I was going to have lunch with and when, what I was going to do after classes and who I was going to hang out with at the end of the day. Now, most of my day is a mystery when I wake up in the morning. I know a couple of assignments that I have to go to each day, but it's never for certain. Like yesterday, we got a call in the afternoon that a farmer found a dead body in his cattle field just east of Enid. Apparently it had been there for weeks, if not months. It was so decomposed, as of the end of today, they still aren't sure who it is. Today it was a 98 mph car chase through the wheat fields that ended with the driver trying to run out of the hospital while he was being treated.(he was caught)

-Friends: don't get me wrong, i consider a lot of people friends. But when the friends you have made the past 4 1/2 years are no longer a cross town drive, and are all still continuing on with their daily grind without you, you feel a little lonely. Talking to some of my friends who are in Norman, going to class, RUF, church, the Newspaper, etc., it definately makes me feel isolated from everything I know. How does one move on and start the next chapter of their life when the previous chapter is still going on without them?

-RUF: I knew it would be hard to find something like that up here in Enid. Stillwater is more than an hour east, which would make it pretty hard to be active in their RUF, plus it's OSU(whose influence i am surrounded by up here. luckily there a few loyal Sooners) There is a church, Emanuel Baptist Church, that has been reccomended to me, and I hope to attend this weekend, but from living in the town for a couple of weeks, there is a severe lack of college aged people. Most early 20's adults who are in Enid are either already married, close to being married, or in the Air Force(due to Vance Air Force base being right here).

Anyways, I've just been going off reminiscing of the past. As with all change, it is hard to adapt to my new surroundings. If you haven't already, a gallery of pictures from my first week at the paper can be seen on my Sportsshooter page (www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=1961) I hope to get another gallery up either on my site, here through the blog or back on SportShooter. I think I am going to be able to get into this blog thing a little more now that the first couple are up. I hope everyone's doing well with their own pursuits and feel free to comment/drop a line if you have some time. Thanks.

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' for the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you."
-Matthew 6:31-33

2 Comments:

Blogger J Stu said...

Welcome to the blogging community. Things are going to be different from now on — all because of blogger.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Blake said...

Kyle,
We can relate to being lonely and leaving a great place. The only advice I would lend is to get plugged into a local church community and build relationships with those folks. It will take some time, but you'll probably be surprised how exciting new relationships and new situations can be.

Decomposed bodies? High speed chases? Are you really a photographer? I think you're a special agent for the FBI. You might try to think of a better cover story...

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home